Saturday, April 3, 2010

Carry-on bag hassles

Friends just got back from out West on US Air, and they said that they were measuring carry-on bags just before boarding at Las Vegas, and if your bag was thicker than 9 inches, they made you check the bag.





Anyone else heard of this?



Carry-on bag hassles


14 x 9 x 22....according to their website, that is the size limit for carry-ons. I carry on a regular sized duffel bag, and that is the size of it. When I fill it, I make sure it is no bigger than that. Most of the airline check-in areas that I have been to...SW,US Air and Spirit.. has a measurement thing you can use to see if your carry-on is the right size or not. I personally have not seen the airlines checking this...but it is on their website, so...



Carry-on bag hassles


9 inches is the limit for carry on on US Air. I had some punk at Continental give me crap about my carry on as I was headed down the gate.





From US Air%26#39;s website:





Baggage policies FAQs





Carry-on baggage



You%26#39;re allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag. Carry-on baggage must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment.



Size requirements





* Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)



* Up to 40 lbs/18 kg





Checked bag fees



US Airways charges a $15 fee for your first checked bags. If you purchased a ticket before July 9, 2008, the first bag fee won鈥檛 apply. We also now charge $25 for all second checked bags. The checked bag policies apply to all flights to and from Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as flights within the U.S.





Airports that offer Curbside check-in will assess a $2 Curbside check-in fee in addition to all checked baggage fees incurred (credit card payments only, gratuities not accepted).





Baggage fees and rules of the operating carrier apply on all flights operated by one of our codeshare partners. Please check with the operating carrier for rules and regulations.




Not a surprise-they want that ripoff 15 buck (30 roundtrip) fee for your bag. People weren%26#39;t checking those rolling suitcases, they were dragging them on the plane, that%26#39;s why they are checking them. That%26#39;s why we fly SW, no ripoff luggage fee.




How many carryons per person are allowed on usairways?



Bella




Each airlines website will give you the dimensions, also at most gates (and if not at the gate check the customer service counter) you will have a size indicator, simply insert bag and see if it meets the specs.



Not all airlines use the same measurements - so check the website, it may also be equipment dependent.



If it fits, it does. If it doiesn%26#39;t fit check the bag.



Simple, follow the rules, they are eay to access.



We always carry on, even for 3 weeks on othewr continenets - easy to do and no need to check baggage. Between the cqarry-on piece and the ';personal'; piece I have everything I need.




Traveling for three weeks - - I think I would need a seperate checked bag for my girly hair styling products alone.....LOL.





I prefer to check my bags anyway - much more of a convenience that%26#39;s worth the cost imho.




I travel on US Airways, since I have only 2 airlines to choose from to LV.



All this talk about luggage size had me thinking about my carry on, I have always taken a med size roll on with me on the plane.



I went and measured my bag- first off how do you measure the height and Length, not sure which way is which.



Secondly both my bags are too large according to US Airways new policy, I will have to carry a duffel instead, not sure how that will look going into the Palazzo.





How would you measure a medium sized sports duffel bag?




exactly what is the this a ';hassle';?



If the bag fits, it meets the specs, no reason to think it%26#39;s a hassle if otherwise.




I use US Air frequently. The dimensions are somewhat smaller than a few months back, per a gate agent. They generally do have the ';sizer'; at the gate and I saw them request some passengers use it on a recent flight. A couple of people making connections got miffed, ';just got off one of your flights, why you making me measure it now?';.





Since they began charging for checked baggage, on their fuller flights they sometimes don%26#39;t have enough room to fit the last few passengers%26#39; carry-ons. Got to check them then and makes the boarding process lengthy. So the size change would appear to be in part to expedite boarding, head off the larger carryons, as well as increase revenue as some have said.




';just got off one of your flights, why you making me measure it now?';





That was me arguing with the Continental punk.

No comments:

Post a Comment